Monday, June 28, 2010

My Christopher Box

My Christopher Box
by Kelly Pelosi

Once again, I open the closet door and there you are
staring at me, piercing at my heart.
The contents of you are so precious,
I take you to a special place,
Slowly I caress your lid so gently until finally I can open you.
A surge of you numbs my body.
For a few minutes, I am motionless as your nine months
pass by in just a few short seconds.
I take care to read every card, as if I were reading them for the first time.
I could recite each by now but I don't.
These are all I have of you.
As I make my way to the bottom, careful to keep everything
in its proper place,
I see you, beautiful pictures of you,
all covered in white.
So pure, so peaceful.
As I hold you to my heart, we rock together as I dreamed we would.
I feel your soul so connected to mine.
I cry. No, I sob.
The ache in my arms to hold you...
I pull myself away as I know I must do.
I pause to hold your footprints.
And place your bracelet with your name so proudly engraved in my arms.
After our final moment together, I put you back in your special place.
Knowing that I really never put you away because you are
part of my heart.
As my final prayer to God, please take care of my precious one.
As I await the day that you and I are one.

No comments:

Post a Comment